It's a pretty stressful week. In fact, it's been a couple of pretty stressful weeks... Lots of projects, deadlines, assignments, etc. The overwhelming workload might have had a chance of getting to me if my mind wasn't solely focused on one thing: GDC. I'm going up to San Francisco next week to attend the 25th annual Game Developers Conference, and I can't wait! Ever since I decided that my future was to be in the games industry, I've wanted to attend GDC as it's the largest gathering of developers, designers, artists, producers, business-types, and well anyone related to the wonderful world of game development that exists! The week long conference comprises of a ton of fascinating lectures, round-tables, interviews, and post-mortems amongst many others, but has always been a bit difficult to go to due to expenses (it's not cheap).
This year however, things are a bit different. I learned that if I am accepted to be a volunteer for the event, then I am granted an all-access pass for free (~ $2000) if I work for a total of 20 hours during the conference. Sounded like a pretty sweet deal, so I went for it, and was fortunate enough to be accepted! Success.
But then things got interesting. There's a specific event at GDC called The Experimental Games Workshop, or EGW. Basically, EGW is a session where game developers can talk about experiments that they are doing with games they have created. It's a bit complicated as to how this came up, but about a week before the proposal submission deadline, I decided that I had something I wanted to talk about. So I wrote a 5 page proposal, and to my utmost surprise... I was selected! Not only am I going to attend GDC, but I'm going to be a speaker as well! Well, the presentation is only 10 minutes long... but I'm speaking nonetheless! Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. So I thought I'd write about what I'm going to be presenting on, and share a bit of my thoughts on it.
...
I've been thinking a lot about physical folk games lately. We’ve all played physical folk games, especially when we were children. Games like Tag, Red Rover, Capture the Flag... they bring back some fond memories don’t they? Unfortunately, most of us tend to let them go as we grow up, just as we stopped going to playgrounds to crawl through tunnels and plunge down slides. “Ninja” is a similar game of this category, but with one exception – I know of more adults than kids who play it. Ninja is part game, part theatrical performance; crowds larger than the number of players participating tend to gather, most of whom inevitably join the game as well.
So, what exactly is Ninja? Think of it as a free-for-all turn based combat game, driven by reflexes, finesse, but most importantly, style. Players start the game by forming a circle, and on the count of three, jump into a ninja pose. The more ridiculous the pose, the more respect earned from onlookers. Players then take turns making one fluid movement in order to eliminate opponents out by striking their hands with their own, all the while acting like a ninja. If a player is being attacked, he can evade with one rapid movement involving only his arms. There is no referee; all rules are monitored by players and the crowd alike. Often players can get away with much if they provide enough entertainment with their attacking and evasive maneuvers.
Once the game has boiled down to two remaining players, a duel takes place. The players walk to the middle, put their backs together, and jump into action when the crowd yells “3…2…1…NINJA!” The opponents face off in a flurry of excitement until only one remains. The players take a bow, and the curtain falls.
I've experimented quite a bit with Ninja. I run weekly games here at my university, but have also started various impromptu games in largely public places. No matter what time of the day, or who chooses to participate, the result is always the same: people love it. I mean people of all ages and professions - I've had people in suits play with teen skaters. It's really remarkable. There's something about it that appeals to almost everyone.
I think this was largely due to the theatrical aspect of Ninja - the part that makes it unique. Most games are only fun when you are the one playing them, but Ninja is such a spectacle that it taps into people’s love of watching skill, style, and drama. And on top of all of this, there’s an incredibly low barrier to entry for becoming an actor in the show! Anyone can participate. The game is physical, but doesn’t require great physical ability - you play completely at your own pace. Because you can only move when it’s your turn, or when being attacked, and both of these movements are generally quick, the game’s not very physically tolling (though, believe me, it can be if you choose it to be!)
Finally, I think Ninja allows people, no matter how old, to feel and act like a 12 year old in front of a mirror with no one watching. The games industry is so focused on getting wider demographics into digital games, but a lot of people have forgotten about what they grew up doing everyday during recess on the playgrounds at school. Most people haven’t played a game of Tag or Cops and Robbers in years. From what I’ve seen from these “experiments”, I think Ninja can make a lot of people experience that joy all over again.
No comments:
Post a Comment